Midazolam side effects – regularly
– Drowsiness and fatigue: Naturally, these side effects are considered desired effects of midazolam in many cases. They can however, act as side effects when these effects influence the daily life at moments they are not desired. Midazolam causes the body to function less well during daily life.
Participating in traffic during midazolam use is not wise. Driving vehicles while being under influence of medicines such as midazolam is even prohibited in many countries. Even a low dose will cause longer response times, possibly leading to dangerous situaties in daily traffic. Ask your doctor about the law in your country for participating in traffic when using midazolam.
Midazolam side effects – regularly when using nasal spray
Besides the above mentioned side effects, the use of the midazolam nasal spray can cause some additional side effect regularly.
– Nasal-, eye- and throat irritation: Nasal irritation includes itch, stings and the arise of a runny nose. Connected compartments, such as the eyes and throat can also get irritated by the midazolam nasal spray to some extent.
Midazolam side effects – sometimes
Side effects that are not always present, but are still present in a significant group of midazolam users, all have to do with the body relaxing. Some forms of this body relaxing are considered undesirable.
– Reduced body coordinationL A reduced body coordination can cause danger in daily life.
– Muscle weakness: Comparable to general fatigue. All muscles in the body relax to some extent.
– Blurred and double vision
– Slower thinking and less emotions: This can lead to a reduced ability of empathizing. If needed, inform people in your direct surroundings about this possible side effect.
– Incontinence: Because the muscles of the body relax, there is a possibility that the sphincters of the blatter relax, causings incontinence. Generally, this only happens to patients who already suffer a weak sphincter.
Midazolam side effects – seldom
De following side effects of midazolam are experienced by only a small group of midazolam users
– Gastrointestinal symptoms: Taking in midazolam, especially in pill form, can cause gastrointestinal symptoms. These include diarrhea, abdominal pains, intestinal cramping and neusea. Taking in the pills together with some food can reduce the chance of experiencing these symptoms.
– Amnesia: Midazolam works on the central nervous system and can therefore also influence the memory in some cases. This can cause users to forget what happened during the period that they were under the influence of midazolam.
– (Itching) rash: Consult your doctor when you experience serious rash.
– Temporarily lowered libido
Habituation and addiction/dependance
One out of three midazolam users experiences habituation to midazolam after three weeks to some extent. This is a known feature of the benzodiazepines. This can cause withdrawal symptoms and may require a higher dosage. If you think you are experiencing withdrawal symptoms, please consult your doctor.
Just like other benzodiazepines, the risk of the development of an addiction is present. To prevent this from happening, it is important to only use midazolam when it is really needed. Midazolam should not be used as a habit to fall asleep for example.